Until recently you'd be forgiven for thinking that Prison Architect was brought to you by the video games department of the republican party. It's all been about locking them up and keeping them down. BUT NO MORE. We've always wanted PA to be balanced and we've made the first tentative steps into allowing you to reform your prisoners.
We've implemented a job-lot of new reform / rehabilitation programs - send them to the doc for some much needed head-shrinking or pop them into a foundation education class and teach them to read. Send them off to the kitchen for a crash course in bun baking or give them the skills to produce beautifully crafted wooden beds. Ahh, the sweet sound of the pitter patter of fresh reformed prisoners......
You can now run daily programs to train, educate and reform your prisoners
These are administered from the new Programs tab in the reports interface
Each program runs during a scheduled time during the day, and costs money per session
Different programs provide different benefits to you and the prisoner
Prisoners may only take part in one program at a time, and may only attend one session in that program per day
Most programs are voluntary. Prisoners will be less likely to volunteer for programs if they are badly treated
Available reform programs:
Foundation education program
General Education qualification
Workshop Safety Induction ← required to work in the Workshop
Kitchen Safety and Hygiene ← required to work in the kitchen
Prisoners must now complete the workshop safety / kitchen safety courses before they can work in those rooms
New : Classroom / School desk / Teacher
You require a functioning classroom before you can begin educating your prisoners
The teacher is an external freelancer who will enter your jail to teach his class, then will leave when done
Some prisoners have more affinity for academic topics than others.
In addition, the level of concentration of your prisoners is a major factor on their chances of success
(Prisoners concentrate best when all of their needs have been taken care of)
New : Carpenters table
Prisoners who have a natural afinity for practical work can attempt the Carpentry Apprenticeship.
If successful they will be able to use the new carpenters table in the workshop
They will use stacks of Wood to produce high quality furniture (currently a high quality wooden bed)
Full production chain : [Gardener] → Tree → [Cutdown] → Logs → [Saw] → Wood → [Carpenters table] → Furniture
Behavioural Therapy is run by the prison psychologist
Prisoners are automatically referred to this program if they behave violently within your jail
Prisoners who successfully complete the Behavioural Therapy program are less likely to cause trouble in future
= Prisoner experience
Experience is now being recorded for all prisoners during their stay in your prison
You can view this data by clicking on them to bring up their rap sheet, then click the new Experience tab
Activity : Shows the breakdown of their time within your prison, and what they were doing during that time
Mood : Shows the amount of time spent in a good / bad / neutral mood. This is a simplification but a useful one.
Condition : Shows how long the prisoner has been suppressed, injured etc.
You can also see the progress of their current reform program - their attendance and chance of passing the program
All programs completed are listed at the bottom of this page, showing if they passed of failed the program
= Armoury upgrades
You can now purchase additional weapons and equipment once you have an armoury on site.
Your guards must return to the armoury to pick up their new equipment as you unlock it,
and there is a cost to pay per item equipped.
Body Armour : Available to all guards, armed guards and dog handlers.
Absorbs 50% of all damage taken, but slows down your guards by 30%
You must pay an additional $100 per guard for body armour.
Tazers : Available for all Armed Guards.
This is a non lethal weapon which instantly incapacitates the target, without causing any damage.
Can only be fired once, then the battery must recharge before it can be used again (1 hour recharge time)
There is a cost of $400 per tazer to be paid as the armed guards collect their new equipment.
Note: Armed guards will use their shotguns instead as soon as you give the weapons free order
Tazer Rollout : Equips all guards and dog handlers with Tazers as well as your armed guards.
There is a cost of $400 per tazer to be paid as the guards collect their new equipment.
= Other improvements
User Interface scaling
Work continues to make the game scale correctly to any resolution and any size of display.
There is now a 'UI Scale' override setting to adjust the size of all onscreen elements to your taste.
Use the PLUS and MINUS keys to adjust this value in game, or edit it directly in preferences.txt
The rooms toolbar now shows the number of each room type that already exist
The fog of war effect is no longer rendered into timelapse videos
Status effects like Suppression no longer cause such massive drops in walking speed
Visitation will now come to an end immediately during a riot or a bangup
You can now build utilities under the road : Electrical cable, Small pipes, Large pipes
Tweaked the routing system - entities should get stuck on walls much less frequently
Fixed : Sometimes very small Laundries / Cleaning Cupboards would not show up in the Deployment/Jobs screen,
meaning you could not assign prisoners to them even though they were perfectly valid rooms
Fixed : Armed guards now (sometimes) shout warnings at inmates before firing,
unless those inmates are attacking staff or about to escape
Fixed : Face-in-the-game entries are now sorted to the top of the community biographies list
Fixed : Sun shadows on trees were sometimes rendered much too large
Fixed : Dogs were unwilling/unable to enter staff only zones
Fixed : You can no longer build road gates over lakes, or at the edge of the map
Fixed : Actors no longer get tired (Eg edward, his guards etc)
Alpha 17 (31 Jan 2014)
Hoo-Rar. This time we've got bad ass mo-fos with boom sticks. You've asked for them and we have answered the call and delivered shot-gun toting armed guards. These guys are excellent for suppressing your prisoners more raucous behaviors. Stick a couple of these dudes in the canteen or the yard and things'll calm right down. Useful they just wander around looking tough, but hit that weapons free button and things'll get messy - you'll lose so many prisoners that it'll be a game-over event, but don't let that stop you blowing off some steam.
You can now hire armed guards to patrol your prison, intimidate your inmates, and put down trouble
You must research the Armoury first, and your armoury requires a weapons rack and one locker per armed guard on site
Armed guards have a strong "Suppression" effect on all prisoners near them, making the prisoners less likely to misbehave
They can be instructed to follow a patrol from the Deployment screen
They will only use lethal force if you give them permission - by clicking the "Weapons Free" emergency button
They will always shout a warning first, unless a Prisoner is attacking a member of staff (guard, armed guard, administrator etc)
They will also shoot on site any prisoner who is about to escape, without shouting a warning, so long as they have "Weapons Free"
Note: Armed guards who genuinely fear for their lives may still shoot, even if you have not given them permission via "Weapons Free"
Note: The Armoury must be very secure. Your most dangerous prisoners will attempt to raid it during a riot or mass escape event
= New Forestry zone
Automates the process of growing trees for the purposes of felling them and using the wood
Saplings will be planted automatically by Gardeners
Fully grown trees will be felled, and the logs taken to Storage or your Workshop if you have one
Trees now take much longer to grow to full size : 5 game-days on average
Trees no longer scale up as they grow. Instead there are three discreet sizes : Sapling, Young, and Old.
You can no longer remove tree stumps. These will vanish over time after a tree has been felled.
Note: The forestry will spend your money by ordering tree saplings automatically. Be sure you have enough
= Objects toolbar filtering
The objects list was becoming too long to manage, and no longer fitted on a single screen
A new filtering method hides any "room specific" objects unless you are looking at that type of room.
Eg the Cooker, Fridge and Sink will only appear in the list if you are looking at a Kitchen
Note: You can press the + button to show the full objects list at any time
= Modding continued
materials.txt is now additively loaded
The mod loading screen now looks better and displays the mod name, author, screenshot and description during load
Added a "Find more mods (Steam Workshop)" button that opens the steam workshop
Renamed "Steam Workshop" to "Prison Sharing", and made it list prisons only (not mods)
Made Prison Sharing sort prisons by subscribed time (newest subscribed prisons at the top of the list)
Fixed manifest.txt files from being corrupted due to newline breaks in Steam file description. May require people to redownload the mod.
= Assorted changes and fixes
You will now be asked "Are you sure" when purchasing neighbour plots of land (to prevent expensive mis-clicks)
The Main Menu screens now scale correctly to high resolution / high DPI screens (eg Retina Mac at 2560x1600)
Guards now target the nearest misbehaving prisoner during fights, rather than choosing one randomly from those in range
When prisoners urinate or soil their suits (Bowel/Bladder need maxed out) there is now a corresponding particle effect
Fixed : Selling finished license plates or wood manually generated only half the correct sale price
Fixed : Subscribing and unsubscribing to your own mod in Steam Workshop will no longer delete your mod from your hard drive
Fixed : The scrollbar in the Staff and Prisoner list screens now works correctly
Fixed : Prisoners can no longer tunnel under lakes
Fixed : The contraband window sometimes massively overestimated the supply of contraband
Fixed some subtle bugs in the Misconduct System, whereby misconduct attributed to prisoners who had long since left was still recorded
Fixed : Sectorisation of the world could fail if you had a lake covering the top right of the map (All sectors marked as NO ACCESS)
Alpha 16 (27 Dec 2013)
T'was the night after Christmas and all through the house not a creature was stirring, except for the four riot guards coming in standard 2x2 cover formation through the rear. This update brings you the ability to share the mods through steamworks, segregate whole sections of your prison to be min / max sec and customize the sprite to go with your name in the game entry!
= Procedural landscape generation
There are new options when generating a new prison:
Forests adds random collections of trees, including new types of tree (Oak, Pine, Orange, Cypress, Palm)
Buildings are usually derilict and can be used or demolished as you wish
Lakes provide additional construction challenges by forcing you to work around them.
Warning: Including lakes can make your map totally unplayable. Experimental!
= Wood industry
You can now cut down trees using "Dismantle" from the objects menu, and each tree will produce wooden Logs
You can sell the logs for an immediate cash boost ("Sell" from the objects menu)
Or if you have a workshop, your prisoners will cut the logs into stacks of wood planks, which sell for more
Gardeners are now required to plant trees, and trees take time to grow from saplings
Stacks of finished wood planks will auto-sell at 1am
= Steam Workshop for mods (Steam versions only)
Mods can now be shared via the Steam Workshop, just like prisons
The mods menu now lets you publish mods, highlights mods you have published, and shows newly downloaded mods
Mods will automatically download when an update is available
Adding FileID "-1" to your mod's manifest.txt will stop the game asking users to publish the mod. Useful for
mods shared outside of the Steam Workshop.
= Full segregation support
Extensive AI work means you can now fully segregate your prison by prisoner category
You can create self contained wings (eg for Max Sec only) containing their own cells, yard, canteen, laundry, workshop etc
New zone type : Med Sec, for medium security prisoner ONLY (orange)
Note: The default zone colour (White) is SHARED, meaning all prisoners are permitted to enter
Work/Employment/Industry AI improvements
Kitchens are now significantly more efficient (Chefs waste much less time)
You can now build any combination of kitchens and canteens, and your chefs will figure it out
(Eg one kitchen serving multiple canteens, or each canteen having its own kitchen etc)
Fixed: Multiple chefs would sometimes go to collect a box of ingredients from the deliveries zone, wasting time
Fixed: Chefs often stood around doing nothing in the kitchen when they should be cooking
Laundries and Workshop jobs are now performed more efficiently and intelligently
Laundries will only service zones of the prison that prisoners working in that laundry would be permitted to reach
Janitors will now help out with the prison Laundry service
Prisoner cell re-assignments now happen without requiring shackled guard escort (if possible)
They will be shackled and escorted by a guard if they are not permitted to make the journey themselves
New object : Road Gate
Can be built spanning the entire road
Acts as a secure door, requiring a guard to unlock it whenever a vehicle or person wants to pass through
You can use this to span your prison across the road, or build a totally contained drop off zone
Doors now open at different speeds. A normal wood door is the fastest. The large road gate is the slowest.
The Large jail door opens slower than the normal jail door.
Prisoners will now "make a run for it" if they are near the exit and you leave too many doors unlocked
Be careful when setting zones to "Unlocked" (green), or setting doors to "Locked open"
Note: More dangerous prisoners are more likely to take advantage of lapses in security
New red marker icon for escaping prisoners
Electrical items no longer short out when wet
It is now safe to use Firemen in the kitchen, or to repair laundry machines without having to worry about electrocution
EXCEPT the power station which now explodes most spectacularly when wet
Workshop balance nerf
The workshop has been judged far too ridiculously profitable
Cutting sheet metal and stamping license plates now takes twice as long as before
Sheet metal now costs $10 per sheet, and produces 2 license plates which sell for $10 each, giving $10 profit
(Previously $3 per sheet, producing 3 license plates selling at $10 each, giving $27 profit)
Workshop saws and presses now cost 50% more to build
Prisoners will now make better use of their stolen contraband when misbehaving:
Lighters if they are feeling destructive
Weapons if they get into a fight
Tools if they are escaping
All staff now have a base toughness of 5 (previously 1) so they no longer die from a single punch
Offices must now be indoor
Vehicles will no longer be blocked by entities, objects, trees etc
Fixed : Purchasing neighbour plots of land sometimes caused the game to get the road location wrong.
Vehicles spawned in the wrong place and construction was blocked in a stripe down the middle of the prison
Fixed : Purchasing land west or north of your prison broke all in-progress escape tunnels
Fixed : Prisoners who are digging escape tunnels will now be rumbled if a guard comes to escort them somewhere
(Previously they were able to keep digging despite being taken to a different place!)
Fixed : Some long running prisons had active escape tunnels that were being dug by prisoners who were no longer on site - either dead, escaped or released.
Fixed : Sometimes workmen took a very long time to finish foundations, leaving them unfinished for hours
Fixed : Trees will no longer be generated on the road
Fixed : Workers will no longer get stuck in the first delivery truck trying to do a job
Fixed : Guards no longer need to use their keys to open wood doors
Fixed : Mod system now correctly loads replacement font graphics every time
Fixed : Mods can now override the base grants with their own if the grants share the same name
Fixed : Dead visitors will no longer float home
Fixed : Historical contraband moved when you purchased a neighbour plot of land
Fixed : Released prisoners will no longer get stuck on the toilet or in bed
Fixed (Alpha15b) : Right click to cancel stopped working
Fixed (Alpha15c) : All existing contraband was being lost after level load
Alpha 15 (29 Nov 2013)
Introversion Software proudly presents .... .... someone else's work!
We've crafted a fully functioning modding system to make it much
easier to use the mods that have been created from some of the
exceptionally talented people in the community.
We've also coded a staff fatigue model that means you'll need to
install some common rooms so your guards can recharge their batteries,
and our resident guru Johnny, has done some awesome performance
enhancements that'll massively improve the size of the prisons that
your rig can cope with.
= Mod system
We have started work on much better mod support within the game
All mods should be installed in your AppSaveFolder/PrisonArchitect/mods/
They will then show up in a new Mods interface (Main menu -> Extras -> Mods)
You can activate and deactivate as many mods at once as you wish
There are several types of mod:
Graphical / Presentation : Updates the graphics and sounds in the game
Translations : Translates the game into languages other than English
Scenarios : Full story driven chapters, similar to our Death Row introduction
Content : Adds items to the sandbox or changes the behaviour of items, eg Grants mods which add grants
All mods must have a manifest.txt which details the title, author, version etc
And mods should come with a thumbnail.png image which will act as a graphical preview
= Performance optimisations continued
The game now runs much faster, especially on Windows/PC
Lots of unneccesary memory copying has been optimised out. Makes a big difference on Windows particularly.
Long running prisons (100+ days) sometimes experienced extreme slowdown due to the list of all contraband
Fixed a bug that caused the building of foundations to become very slow and laggy on large maps
The lighting system has been multithreaded, freeing up much CPU time
Nb. The lighting system now updates at 20hz (previously 4hz), so changes in light happen quicker as well
= Staff exhaustion
All staff now become tired as they work
Their energy level is rendered as a green bar in their nameplate (only shown when less than 33%)
When they become exhausted they will stop work for a while to recover
You can now build a Staff Room, and exhausted staff will go there in preference
Staff resting in a Staff Room will recover energy much faster, and feel more rested
NOTE: Guard dogs still rest in the Kennels
- You will now receive a different federal grant for each category of prisoner:
Minimum security prisoner : $50 per day
Normal security prisoner : $100 per day
Maximum security prisoner : $150 per day
Note: Previously you received $100 per prisoner regardless of category
- New clock speed option : very fast. Runs the game at 5x speed. (Previous fastest speed was 2x)
- The Deployment view is now unlocked by the Chief.
You can then research Deployment to attach guards to stations, or Patrols to attach guards to patrols
This fixes the issue that you could unlock Patrols before you had access to the Deployment screen.
- You can now scroll by pushing the mouse to the edge of the screen
- The Contraband view now has a sub-toolbar with display options:
Dangers Shows all the locations around your prison that contraband could be stolen from
24 hours Shows all contraband confiscated in the last 24 hours
7 days Shows all contraband confiscated in the last 7 days
All time Shows all contraband confiscated in the history of your jail
In addition, all recovered contraband icons are colour coded:
Red = Weapon, Blue = tools, Green = narcotics
Several main menu items have been moved into a new Extras sub menu:
Names in the game
Fixed: Many types of irrelevent equipment will no longer be smuggled into your prison
eg Mop, Rake, Hose, Leash etc
- Fixed: Power lines were rendered without colour once you'd built more than four power stations
- Fixed: Not all of the Complaints thought bubbles were displaying correctly
- Fixed: Some invalid jobs would appear at the top left of the map as a price
Alpha 14 (2 Oct 2013)
Do ya like Dawgs? This time around it's all about those furry little
sniffing machines - man's best friend. UNLESS you are a dirty
prisoner six feet beneath the ground trying to shawshank your way to
freedom. Dogs sniff out contraband and tunnels, and should one of your
prisoners make a break for it, the handlers will send up a loud cry of
"release the hounds" and the dogs will chase down and jump on anyone
who shouldn't really be sprinting toward the front gate. They come at
a price though - you need a kennel and handlers and they run out of
energy pretty quickly so you need to make sure you have enough to do
the job. We've also included some pretty punchy performance
enhancements in A14. Enjoy it, Chris' wife is birthing another nipper
so it's all you're going to get until December!
= Guard Dogs
You can now hire guard dogs from the staff menu. Every dog has a dog handler.
Dogs will sniff any nearby prisoners or hiding places, and will detect drugs, cigs etc
Dogs can sense escape tunnels and will scratch at the ground when they find one, giving the player a strong hint
If a dog smells a prisoner digging under them, they will dig up the prisoner and reveal the entire tunnel
Dogs are fast runners and are very good at chasing down escaping prisoners
Note: Dogs smell drugs and detect tunnels incorrectly sometimes
Note: If either a dog or his handler is killed, the survivor will act unpredictably for a while, before leaving the prison
- Dogs can be assigned to patrols just like Guards : From the Deployment screen
Click on "Dog Patrols" then click on any existing patrol to assign a dog to it
New room type. Requires dog crates for each dog to sleep in
Can be outdoor, but must be surrounded by walls or fences or doors
Dogs have an energy level represented by a green bar under their body, which discharges as they work
When they become exhausted they will return to a Kennel and sleep in a dog crate to recover
They will also heal any injuries sustained in the line of duty
= Prison Sale
You can now sell your prison from the Valuation report screen, and use the profits to start a new prison with a large bank balance
You require an Accountant on site, a minimum positive valulation of $50,000, and at least 20 prisoners to be eligable for sale
You can always return to a prison you have previously sold and continue managing it, but you can only sell a prison once
Note: You cannot sell someone elses prison shared via the Steam Workshop, for obvious reasons
Note: We are aware this system is highly exploitable, and it will remain that way until we balance the financial side of the game
= Major performance optimisations
We have resolved numerous performance glitches and done a great deal of optimising for this alpha.
Areas optimised : Sector system, Work Queue, Rendering
The navigation / route planning system has been multithreaded and will now run on a second processor core
On large / heavily populated maps the average frame rate is now significantly higher
- Escape tunnels have been nerfed and are now much more rare.
- Only prisoners with the "Clever" trait will even consider escape tunnels (10-20% of your inmates)
- They need to have a stolen digging tool within their possession
- Motivations for digging: Fear for life, High freedom need, Misses family
- Prisoners caught digging will have the punishment for "Escape Attempt" automatically applied
- Deliveries and Garbage rooms can now be placed anywhere on your prison site, including behind locked doors
- Delivery trucks will stop and load/unload when aligned with delivery/garbage rooms
- Prisoners will get off the truck immediately if they can walk to deliveries easily
- However if your deliveries zone is within your prison they will be escorted in by a guard
- The Load / Save dialogs now have the option to sort by "Date modified" as well as by filename.
This is very useful for quickly finding your recent prisons.
Click on the column headings to toggle the different sorting methods
- There is now much more variety for many of the existing staff types:
Male and female versions of many staff types
Body shapes and sizes vary
Skin tone also varies
- Planning Mode continued
We have extended the planning mode to permit three different types of materials:
Walls : Plan where your walls will be
Objects : Drag out any size of object to show where you plan to place the furniture
Paths : Use this to mark your planned outdoor pathways
- Fixed: Workers will no longer load and unload garbage in an endless loop
(This happened when you had the Garbage zone above the Deliveries zone)
- Fixed: The tooltip regarding guard patrols was being displayed in all kinds of wrong places
- Fixed: All entities would drop whatever they were carrying after loading a saved game
Alpha 13 (29 Aug 2013)
Dig Dig Dig! This one's all about tunnelling. Given a spoon or any other tool-esque item and they'll start from their toilets and keep on digging until they're outside the perimeter. You can find them by searching the prisoner or cell, but it may be worth moving those maxsec blocks a little further from the edge of your prisons.....
We've also produced a punishment policy table where you can decide the appropriate reaction to an infraction. 2 weeks in the slammer for moaning about the chow? Tough, but don't let us stop you…
= Escape tunnels
Prisoners can now dig escape tunnels when they are supposed to be sleeping
They will dig from the toilet in their cell outwards, avoiding buildings and walls as best they can
They will tend to dig along water pipes, especially large pipes, because these make the job much quicker
They require a digging tool stolen from somewhere in the prison, and will stash this in their cell
Searching a prisoner or his cell whilst he is tunnelling will reveal the tunnel
Prisoners are motivated to dig escape tunnels if they fear for their lives (dangerous prison AND non-violent inmate),
or if they have a very high Freedom need, meaning they've been locked up in their cell for days
- New material: Perimeter wall
This is an EXPENSIVE new wall type designed to prevent escape tunnels - a very high and very deep wall.
Tunnellers will do their best to dig around it. It can be tunnelled through, but it will take much longer than a normal wall.
Note: You cannot build utilies through a perimeter wall, and building one will sever any existing utilities in those squares.
- You can remove tunnels you have uncovered by using the new material "Remove Tunnels"
= Policy report
You can now control the punishments handed out to prisoners when they fight, escape, destroy things etc.
This is unlocked from Bureaucracy by the Chief, and gives you a new "Policy" report.
You can also request automatic searching of the prisoner and/or his cell when misconduct occurs.
Eg a prisoner caught with a tool may be digging escape tunnels, so you can auto-search his cell
- Needs system continued
- Prisoners now have an Environment need, representing the cleanliness of their surroundings. Hire Janitors!
- Prisoners now have a Privacy need. This can only be discharged by them spending time alone in their own cell.
- The previous "Defense" need is now called Safety. It charges up when they feel in danger.
As a result of these changes, all Prisoner Biographies will be re-generated when you load an alpha-12 or earlier save game.
- Cells, holding cells and solitary cells must now be "Enclosed", which means surrounded by walls and doors.
There will be no more building tons of open cells in a giant indoor area without any walls seperating them.
- You can now perform several different types of search on any object or prisoner:
- Search Prisoner/Object : Simply searches the prisoner/object and nothing else
- Search Cell : Searches the prisoner and his cell
- Search Cell Block : Searches all prisoners and hiding places within the current cell block
- Patrol system update
We are changing the patrol system to work differently and better.
Previously Guards would auto-follow any patrol within their own sector, but wouldn't go outside the sector
In this new system, you must assign guards to a patrol manually by clicking on an existing patrol square
The immediate advantage is that you can specify exactly which patrols are walked, and by how many guards
Patrols can now go through multiple sectors as they are no longer connected.
- Popup Markers have been disabled for Alpha 13, because we broke them really bad
- It now takes 50% longer to serve one year of a prison sentence
- Nav system changes: There should be a lot less failed routing, and entities should now perform better when cut off from the rest of the world.
- The deployment screen now highlights innaccessable areas of your prison in a flashing yellow colour. Build doors!
- The Steam Workshop window now produces the list of subscribed prisons much faster than before. Great for those of us with 50 odd subscriptions!
- Fixed: The starting Deliveries and Garbage zones were being defined wrongly (each square added several times to the room)
Alpha 12 (31 July 2013)
Drugs. Booze. Weapons. This alpha is all about contraband. Steal weapons and tools from the workshop, drugs from sick bay or Whisky and Smokes from the Warden's office.
Search a prisoner, a cell, or order a whole prison shakedown and find out who's got what and from whence it came. Careful though, too many unwarranted searches will result in a riot…
= Theft and Contraband
Many rooms around a prison are now a source of dangerous contraband
Prisoners will sometimes steal contraband and try to smuggle it back to their cell for safe keeping
Prisoners are less likely to steal metal items if they know they have to pass through a metal detector on their way back
Prisoners carrying metal items will avoid Metal Detectors as best they can
There are four categories of contraband:
- Weapons: Used during fights. A high "Danger Level" within your prison will drive a high demand for weapons
- Tools: (Eventually) Used by prisoners to assist escaping
- Narcotics: (Eventually) Used by prisoners who are bored or uncomfortable, or dealing with addiction
- Luxuries: Items that make prison life a bit more bearable, such as mobile phones, alchohol etc
Note: Prisoners currently only make use of Weapons, but they will still steal the other types of contraband
= Contraband overlay
There is a new Contraband overlay in the main toolbar, unlocked by the Chief in Bureaucracy
Shows all potential sources of contraband within your prison, and also all recently found contraband
You can select any recently found item to see a trail of where it was stolen from, where it was hidden etc
= Contraband Supply and Demand
You can see the market demand for any item in the new Contraband Report. High demand means many prisoners want this item
This screen also shows the supply of these items, representing how many of those items are owned by the prisoners
Prisoners who want something they can't get will steal an item with high market value instead, so they can trade for it later
= Searching powers
You can now order a search of a prisoner or his entire cell, from his Rap Sheet
There is a new emergency button on the toolbar: Shakedown, which searches every cell and prisoner in your jail
Note: Searching prisoners really pisses them off, raising the danger level of your prison
Metal Detectors automatically trigger a search of a prisoner when they detect something
Metal Detectors now fall out of action for 3 seconds after detecting something
They also incorrectly detect something a small percentage of the time, resulting in unnecesary searches
= Status Effects
All prisoners can now be affected by Status Effects, which change their behavior for a fixed period of time
You can see status effects on a prisoner by highlighting him.
Current status effects:
- Suppressed: Prisoners locked in Solitary Confinement will become suppressed and compliant due to their harsh treatment.
These suppressed prisoners are much less likely to cause trouble.
- Well Fed: Prisoners who eat well will become "well fed", contributing to the good feeling in the prison.
Well fed prisoners are much less likely to cause trouble.
= Needs System
- Extensive performance improvements
- The needs system was one of the slowest and most laggy parts of the game
- Fixed: Prisoners sometimes can't find any need providers if the framerate is too low, and just stand around instead
- Prisoners due for release within the next six hours are now listed on your todo list
- New audio work for the Bureaucracy screen and the Reports windows, and new searching powers
- Changed the way Guards follow patrols, so they should no longer clump together
- Contraband found by guards is still dropped on the floor, but will now auto-vanish after 10 seconds
- Fixed: Released prisoners are now permitted to route through Staff-Only zones on their way out
- Fixed: Sometimes garbage would never be collected
- Fixed: Callout units will now show their assigned route even when off screen
- Fixed: Drains will no longer block doors from closing
- Fixed: The time buttons on the clock will now highlight the currently selected speed correctly
Alpha 11 (28 June 2013)
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD! Alpha 11 brings a host of new features, bug fixes
and improvements, not least of which is hearses to take away the
unfortunately deceased. Purchase of neighbouring plots of land is now
possible. We've also added a TimeLapse video capture system so that
you can film the construction of your prisons. Get recording, we can't
wait to see your videos!
= Performance improvements & memory leaks
- Fixed numerous large memory leaks
- Water simulation significantly optimised
- Fixed performance bug in object rendering (calling profiler from within inner loop)
- Rendering soft material edges has been improved and optimised (eg grass growing onto pathway)
- Rendering garbage bags was sometimes very slow, is now quicker. Weight caption removed
- Nameplates now fade out as you zoom out (less clutter + quicker to render)
- Fixed performance bug when ordering large areas of construction
= Land expansion
- You can now purchase neighbouring plots of land, and thereby expand the area of your prison
- Must be unlocked by the accountant in the beauracracy screen
- Expanding to the right of the road is experimental, and is likely to break everything
= TimeLapse recording
You can now record a timelapse video of your prison during construction
Use the Options -> Timelapse menu to set the frame interval and the playback rate of the video
Start and Stop recording from the main menu
Whilst recording you will see a red circle icon in the top right of your screen
NOTE: Timelapse videos will be saved to your PA saves folder, subfolder 'Videos'
NOTE: We export the videos as OGV (ogg video) format
- Intelligent toolbar highlights
Icons in the main build toolbar will now highlight when appropriate, based on the rooms visible on screen
Eg if you are looking at a Workshop, the Saw/Press/Table will all highlight.
Eg if you are looking at a row of jail cells, the Bed/Toilet/JailDoor icons will all highlight
- Prisoners now count down their remaining sentence whilst in your jail.
Once they have served their full jail term they are automatically released.
They will walk to the exit and be allowed to leave by your guards.
Their nameplate will flash "RELEASED"
NOTE: We count down sentences at an accelerated rate - otherwise nobody would ever be released
NOTE: We do not yet support early release due to Parole
- Guards assigned to a sector will no longer group together at the very centre of the sector.
Instead they will walk randomly around the sector.
Similarly, prisoners assigned to work within a room will now wander around the room if there is
nothing to do, instead of grouping together at the centre like chumps
- Hearses will now come to your prison to take away your dead bodies (four at a time)
- Dirty clothes will no longer lead to riots
Not all needs will push prisoners to physical violence
Currently Exempt: Clothing, Comfort
These needs still prevent those prisoners from feeling "well treated", but will not push them to anger
- Doctors/Paramedics will now prioritise Guards and Riot Police, and will not heal fighting/rioting prisoners
- Running the game in SAFE MODE now automatically scales the game spritebank down to 2048x2048
This should fix the missing/corrupted sprites bugs on some graphics chips (eg Intel HD 3000, Macbook Air etc)
- Prisoners now walk a bit faster when pushing laundry baskets
- Fixed: The clone tool was broken in alpha 10
- Fixed: The doctor/paramedic healing sound was looping forever
- Fixed: The Lockdown claxon would loop forever, annoying everyone who heard it
- Fixed: Prisoners will no longer attempt cleaning jobs in staff only areas (they became stuck when trying)
- Fixed: Prisoners will immediately stop doing a job if their room is set to Staff Only
- Fixed: Prisoners will no longer drop their dirty uniforms in the wall where they can't be retrieved
- Fixed: You no longer need to hire a Doctor before you can create an Infirmary
Alpha 10 (30 May 2013)
LINUX BUILD NOW AVAILABLE! Steam customers can now publish or
subscribe to the to the best prisons from the Architect community. A
new danger model improves the realty of riots occurring, and when they
do you can brutally oppress the inmates using riot cops with massive
= Steam Workshop
You can now share your prisons online via the Steam Workshop, accessible from the main menu (Steam version only)
You can publish your current prison by giving it a name and clicking on Publish
Alternatively you can browse the Prison Architect workshop and subscribe to other people's prisons
Subscribed prisons will show up in the workshop window and can be played at any time by clicking Play
Use the Steam Workshop itself to set descriptions, metadata, and to manage your published prisons
Prison Architect is now available for Linux, via Steam and as a standalone download
We have targeted Ubuntu 12.04 and later (32 or 64 bit) for now, with wider compatibility coming in future alphas
The game should work fine on other distros, but please let us know if you have problems
Note: Prison Architect is not currently compatible with Debian (Stable), because we require glibc 2.15 or greater
= New anger model
The system for determining when prisoners become angry and misbehave has been totally overhauled
There is now a Thermometer which represents the "danger level" of your prison. A high "temperature" will lead to fights.
All prisoners have a "boiling point", which represents the temperature at which they will kick off
Max sec prisoners will tend to have a lower boiling point, meaning they will kick off earlier
This thermometer is visually represented in the top toolbar, showing the current temperature and rate of change.
Factors affecting the danger level of your prison:
- (increase) prisoners angry that their needs are not being met
- (increase) prisoners locked up for no reason
- (increase) riot police on site
- (increase) fight / riot occurring nearby
- (increase) recent death
- (decrease) prisoners who feel they are well treated (all needs met)
- (decrease) guards stationed in the area
- (decrease) recent punishments (deterrent)
If the "temperature" of your prison rises too high, prisoners will begin to riot.
This raises the temperature further, resulting in a feedback loop which can push the entire prison into riot
Prisoners who are rioting will capture their cell block, and will defend it against your guards and riot police
Rioting prisoners will smash down internal doors, freeing their cellmates and spreading the riot to neighbouring cell blocks
Your guards and staff will not willingly enter a captured sector - too dangerous
= New Emergency services: Riot police, Paramedics
To deal with riots, you can now call in Riot Police. These guys are heavily armoured and will retake the captured sectors
You can control them using the Emergency Callouts unit list on the right of the screen, or by drag-selecting
Paramedics will heal anyone injured nearby
You can dismiss emergency callout units by clicking on the red X next to their unit icon
= Incident markers
When guards spot an incident, they will now "radio in" to alert you of this trouble
Markers will popup around the edge of the screen, directing you to the incident
Click on the Marker to quickly move to the incident
= Laundry continued:
- Prisoner uniforms now come out of the laundry machines crumpled, and must be ironed before use (requires Ironing Board)
- Prisoners will now change into their clean uniforms whenever their Clothing need is high
- When showering, Prisoners will now get undressed only when close to the shower
- Fixed: Multiple laundry baskets were being sent to a single sector at the same time
- Fixed: Not enough prisoner uniforms are delivered to the prison
- Fixed: Laundry baskets would sometimes render a vertical stripe of random sprites above their position
= New audio work
A ton of new audio elements have been added to the game, especially for angry crowds
You will now get lots of audio warning before trouble breaks out. The prison now sounds a lot more dangerous
A brand new dynamic music score will play during and after a Riot
All objects are now made of a certain material (Wood/Metal etc) and have appropriate damage sounds
- There have been significant improvements to direct unit control, ie drag selection, movement commands etc
- You can no longer build on the very edges of the map, or anywhere on the road
- Guards and staff can no longer see through walls (ie do not reveal fog of war)
- The Regime report now shows the current time as a horizontal line
- Prisoners will now sleep when in their cells at any time between 10pm and 8am, if they need to
- All consumables are now delivered in batches, once per hour (ingredients/foodtrays/uniforms/metal/bleach)
- Workmen can now unload anything from delivery trucks. This fixes bugs where items were left blocking the road
- Prisoners can now receive up to 3 visitors in a single group
- Fixed: Laundry/Workshop/Kitchen objects could not be dismantled because the job was wrongly assigned to prisoners
- Fixed: New construction jobs are often wrongly tagged as "Failed: No materials" for a few seconds
- Fixed: Visitation does not end during a bangup
- Fixed: Graphical bug that resulted in the bottom of some sprites being clipped
- Fixed: Prisoners assigned to work in the Kitchen would sometimes try to bring ingredients in from outside,
resulting in an immediate escape attempt as soon as they were out the front door
- Fixed: The navigation system would fail when trying to plot routes to the very edges of the map
(Note: Although entities can navigate to the very edge, they aren't allowed to build on it)
Alpha 9 (April 24th 2013)
Central to the new version is the concept of Prisoner Employment, and
we've been planning this feature for a long time. Prisoners can now
perform a variety of jobs around the prison, saving you money on staff
and raising money for you by selling goods manufactured by your work
force. Prisoners can work in the kitchen, they can clean the prison,
and they can work in the laundry and the workshop, both of which are
new in Alpha9. They can also take visits from family members in the
new visitation rooms.
Prisoners can now perform different jobs during a new 'Work' regime activity
Create employment opportunities with the new 'Jobs' button in the Deployment screen
Prisoners not employed during the 'Work' regime treat it as 'Free Time'
Currently available prisoner jobs : Laundry, Cooking, Cleaning, Workshop
Note: The rooms must be accessable, ie Prisoners can't cook if the kitchen is Staff Only
Note: Eventually you will pick who can work, but for now every prisoner is permitted to work
New rooms and objects have been added to support creation of a Laundry service within your prison
Clean prisoner uniforms are distributed around the prison in Laundry Baskets
Dirty uniforms are collected up and brought back to the Laundry room, where they are washed in machines
Prisoners now get undressed in their cells before Shower Time, and return to their cell after to re-dress
They will change into a clean uniform if one is available, leaving behind their dirty uniform for laundry.
Prisoners now have a 'Clothing' need that reflects how clean their clothes are
Note: Clean prison uniforms will be stored on any table space, or on the floor, in the Laundry
You can now create workshops and use them to convert cheap raw materials into trinkets of value
Raw sheet metal will be dropped off in your workshops
Your Prisoners will use the circular saw and hydraulic press to manufacture car number plates
These will be sold at midnight for a profit
Note: Sheet metal and License plates will be stored on the floor in the workshop.
Build tables if you prefer your rooms to be tidy
= Families and Visitation
All Prisoners now have various family members, listed in their Rap Sheet. Some prisoners have no family.
Family members will want to visit an inmate from time to time
You can now create a visitation room, and visitors will start to arrive every day (8am - 8pm)
Prisoners can also take visits from their lawyer
Note: All bios from old save games will be re-generated to support this
- Prisoners can now help out with the cleaning of your prison
- New room : Cleaning Cupboard. This is required to assign Prisoners to the cleaning job.
- Janitors and Prisoners will now clean inside individual jail cells, so long as the cell is open to them
- The rendering of decay has been improved - eg muddy floors, dirty shower cubicles, overgrown pathways etc
- Surfaces will now Decay 50% slower than before
- Food Ingredients will now be stored on the kitchen floor if there is no available fridge space
- Older prisoners now have older faces, and are less likely to be incarcerated for certain crimes like Joyriding etc
- Fences now visually join onto walls better
- Electrical cable and water pipes now come in stacks to prevent flooding your deliveries area
- Fixed: Workshops no longer award you money per square.
- Fixed: The deployment system would not always update correctly, leading to a single grey sector
- Fixed: Crash bug in planning mode when drawing off the edge of the map
- Fixed: Dead staff members will no longer be paid a daily wage
- Fixed: The game would not render correctly on Windows Vista or higher when non-standard desktop DPI settings were used
- Fixed: Prisoners under lockdown in their cells would sometimes leave their cell to go to lunch/yard etc,
only to be chased down immediately by guards and returned
Alpha 8 (March 20th 2013)
Somehow we've achieved the impossible and convinced Valve to Launch the PA Alpha on Steam! We took this opportunity to make a really solid build and fixed 100s of bugs. You'll always be able to update your build from here, but if you prefer you can activate your copy of PA on Steam and get automatic updates. To get your steam key just follow the link in the email used when you bought the game.
= Steam integration
Prison Architect is now available from Steam (Pc & Mac)
Existing customers : You have been gifted a complimentary Steam Key!
Open your purchase receipt email then click on the URL and you'll find your steam product key
Use this key to activate your copy of Prison Architect for Steam
= New Planning Mode
Accessable from the main toolbar, use this to plan your upcoming buildings and room layouts
You can draw in the usual way with the left mouse and clear with the right mouse
Plans are automatically cleared once actually built by workers
= Door Lock system changes
- New object: 'Staff Door', which is a locked door that can be opened by any guard OR staff member
Note: Prisoners treat this as a normal door, requiring Guards to unlock in the usual way
(Staff never unlock doors for prisoners - it's not in their job description, and too dangerous)
(Want a Staff-ONLY door? Set the Sector type to be Staff Only in Deployment)
- Doors have two new special modes: Locked Shut or Locked Open. Click on a door to set this.
Locked Shut prevents anyone using the door at any time.
Locked Open keeps the door open at all times, EXCEPT during a lockdown when it slams shut
- There is a new sector setting called "Unlocked", which keeps all doors within the sector open
This is useful during construction of a building, or during a fire evacuation
- Doors that are blocked when closing will no longer push the blocking object aside.
They won't close fully until unblocked.
- Guards will now stick to their assigned patrols and sectors, only doing jobs within their sector
This makes them much more responsive at opening doors within / bordering their sector
- Fixed: Guards will no longer be called upon to unlock wooden office doors
= AI & Behaviour Improvements
- During Shower / Yard / Meal times, Prisoners will first go to the nearest room of that type,
then will only use the facilities within that room.
This stops prisoners in one shower running to another shower on the other side of the map
- Facilities within a Holding Cell may now only be used by prisoners living in that holding cell
- Prisoners will no longer nap during the day, instead preferring to sleep for longer at night
(Requires Sleep regime)
- Workers/Chefs/Janitors etc will now attempt jobs even if there is mild danger nearby,
but will still refuse if the area is very dangerous
Guards will no longer refuse any job because it is too dangerous. They are paid to be brave!
Jobs which are paused due to danger will be restarted quicker once the danger has passed
- Dead Firemen will now be taken to the morgue by Guards (rather than being left to rot),
and fire trucks will leave without them
- Guards that are not assigned anywhere will try to hang out somewhere useful
- Fixed: Chefs will no longer bin all prepared food during Bang Up / Lockdown
= Interface improvements
- The top toolbar now displays the number of available guards, prisoners, and cctv cameras when you have them
- The Lockdown and Bangup buttons have been moved onto the main toolbar (placeholder graphics)
- Tooltips have been added to many items in the main toolbars
- The prisoner Rap sheet now displays any recent misconduct they were involved in
- The graphics options screen now asks you to confirm a new resolution is acceptable, or reverts after 15 seconds
- The hunt for Stuck Entities
- Fixed: Prisoners could become trapped in Solitary Confinement forever after saving and reloading
- Fixed: All entities could become trapped in a Medical Bed
- The maximum number of prisoners you can receive in a day is now based on your prison size:
Small = 16, Medium = 24, Large = 32. Previously it was 24 for all prisons
- New command line option:
-safemode : Runs at 1024x768, windowed, with shaders disabled, and a blank new map
(Steam users can run this directly from steam by selecting "Launch in SAFE MODE")
- Prisoners minor injuries will now heal while they sleep overnight
- Prisoners misconduct is now saved correctly in save games
- Administrators now have a short view range (3 squares)
- Fixed: The hardware compatability survey will no longer popup when playing the Introduction level
- Fixed: Entity animations glitched for Eating, Cooking, Unlocking doors, Building etc
- Fixed: You can now construct (free) fences even when your bank balance is negative
- Fixed: You can now construct / place objects that you have in stock, even when your bank balance is negative
- Fixed: You can no longer sack Firemen
- Fixed: Crash bug caused by closing the prison to any category at the exact same moment the first prisoners arrive
- Fixed: Bug that caused the game to crash when loading partially corrupted save games
- Fixed: Prisoners sprites sometimes became corrupted whilst sleeping
- Fixed: Prisoners who trip the metal detectors whilst being escorted by a Guard will now be searched
- Fixed: Placing pipes will no longer be blocked by walls or sprinklers in progress
- Fixed: In the tutorial, Edwards new cell will never be used by another prisoner
Alpha 7 (Feb 21st 2013)
We've fulfilled the name in game and face in game tiers so some prisoners are now personalised. Guards are now the only characters that can open doors. This sounds small, but makes a massive difference to the gameplay. You now have to think a lot more about how many guards to use and where to deploy them. There's also a graphics option menu that should keep a lot of you happy!
= Name-in-the-game / Face-in-the-game
The community database of personalised Names and Faces has been imported into the game
You can view the full database from the main menu option "Names in the game"
Around 30% of all randomly generated prisoners will now include a custom name and bio taken from this database
You can manually transfer any prisoner from this list into your jail - they will arrive in the 8am delivery
= Only Guards can open doors
All locked doors must now be opened by Guards using their keys. Prisoners and staff must wait to be let in.
The exception is the doors on each jail Cell, which open automatically when the prisoner should be let out
Office doors are never locked - anyone can pass through at any time
You can right click on any door to open it manually
Doors can be blocked open but will gradually push blocking objects aside until they close
= Alarm buttons
Under 'Emergencies' there are two new "alarm" buttons:
LOCKDOWN immediately closes and locks all the doors in the prison
Guards will not open doors for anyone. However they will unlock doors on their way if you move them somewhere
BANGUP instructs all prisoners to return immediately to their cell (confusingly, this was called Lockdown in alpha6)
Prisoners will obviously ignore this alarm if they are misbehaving
= Game Options menu
From the main menu you can now access an 'Options' menu to control the application settings
Under GRAPHICS You can control the screen resolution, fullscreen/windowed setting and filtering mode
- Multisampling uses fullscreen anti-aliasing (4xMSAA) to improve the sprite render quality
- Supersampling renders everything at double resolution then downscales to your screen
Both improve the game visuals at the cost of reduced performance
There are also options for Sound, Game etc
- You can now press F11 at any time to toggle fullscreen
- You can press ctrl-p at any time to save a screenshot
- The game will no longer crash on launch if your previous save game was corrupted.
We have disabled autoload of previous saved games for now, until we can fix some loading issues.
(The game now launches with a new empty sandbox)
- Prisoners can now be re-categorised (Max/normal/Min) from their rap sheet
- All research times have been halved
- Fixed: Building lots of fences whilst paused caused endless delivery of empty boxes
- Fixed: Prisoners were no longer bothering to run around the yard whilst exercising
- Fixed: The main build toolbar was sometimes scaled wrongly at certain resolutions,
leading to an annoying scrollbar in the lists of objects/rooms etc
- Performance improvements:
Fixed a major performance bug in the renderer, causing occasional extreme frame lag
Many parts of the render system have been optimised - some visual glitches may occur in entity animations
Alpha 6 (Jan 30th 2013)
Alpha 6 introduces prisoner risk categories with coloured uniforms to reflect this. Prisoners now have a criminal history and are classified according to perceived risk, however this is an ESTIMATE and may not be accurate - you'll still need to keep a close eye on the little darlings! We've also adjusted the prisoner intake settings to allow even more customisation of the game.
= Prisoner Categories
All prisoners are now classified based on their risk level - Min, Normal, or Max.
Prisoner uniforms are coloured to reflect this: Grey, Orange and Red respectively.
Note: The Category of a prisoner is an ESTIMATE of their risk level,
based on their convictions. However their true risk is determined by their TRAITS
= Prisoner Traits, 'Rap Sheet' & Criminal History
All prisoners now have Bios that detail their criminal history, length of time in jail etc
Click on any prisoner to review his Rap Sheet.
Prisoners have (internal) traits which determine if they are violent, destructive etc
These traits determine the Prisoner's likely response to their needs not being met
= New Sector Categories
You can now set sectors to be used for MinSec or MaxSec prisoners in the deployment screen.
Note: This only affects prisoners cell assignment. They currently share all other rooms.
MaxSec or MinSec prisoners without cell space will overflow into the shared (White) sectors.
A Holding Cell is required as temporary housing to facilitate cell changes
= Intake Control
You can now control the intake of new inmates from the 'Prisoners Report' screen.
You can choose which categories you are open to, or stop receiving any new prisoners.
Note: Unavailable if 'Continuous Intake' is enabled; You will receive a random mixture
= The hunt for Stuck Prisoners
Several subtle bugs have been fixed which resulted in prisoners becoming stuck, shackled,
pushed into the wall, forgotten, or trapped in hospital beds. (Guards sometimes as well)
Prisoners who are trapped will now be escorted back to their cells by a guard.
Note: All entities need to be healed before they will be let out the medical ward, and
Prisoners need to have a cell to be taken back to.
- There is now some variation in the physical size of prisoners. Higher Risk prisoners tend to be larger
- Doctors will now heal injured people around them more reliably (within range 10 sq)
- The tape measure dragging sounds will no longer play unless you are laying out construction orders
- Building frameworks now look more 3d and cast shadows when under construction
- Links have been added to the Main Menu to access the latest version, legal terms & conditions and buy page
- Fixed a bug which allowed prisoners to glitch through doors when they were trying to escape,
making it quite a bit easier for them to succeed
- Fixed: The game would crash on loading or selecting a saved prison, if that prison had a
thumbnail image of width or height > 2048 pixels. (Happens if you are running at higher res, eg Retina)
- Fixed: You can no longer callout unlimited numbers of firemen
- Fixed: A dead or unconscious firemen will no longer drop/spawn his firehose continuously
Alpha 5 (Dec 14th 2012)
This new build has a number of new features ranging from totally new cool stuff to some pretty massive improvements to existing tools. We have new “Staff Only” zones, which Prisoners are not permitted to enter. We have the first emergency service callout - the Fireman - which means you no longer need to watch your prison burn to the ground without being able to do anything about it. And we’ve massively improved the Foundations tool so it’s much more intuitive and intelligent to use.
= Staff Only sectors
You can now create Staff Only Sectors from the Deployment screen. They will show up Red.
Inmates will avoid these completely (unless misbehaving)
= You can now call in Firemen to put out your prison fires. Use the new 911 Emergencies menu.
Firemen are a special controllable unit with its own icons on the right of the screen.
Firemen will automatically spray nearby fire, or you can press H to aim their hoses manually.
To dismiss firemen, send them all back to their fire engine.
= The Foundations tool has been much improved. It is now much easier to expand existing buildings,
and the door/entrance detection is much better at spotting valid entrances to new buildings.
- You can now cancel foundations by right clicking on them, or right-click-dragging a box around them.
- All construction tools now continue to work correctly even when the game is paused
- There is a new tool in the Materials menu for demolishing walls (indoor and outdoor)
- Localisation improvements:
All object/material/room/equipment/research names are now included in the language file (english.txt)
Lots of other hardcoded english has been moved into the language file for easy translation
- You will no longer lose visibility of your indoor areas until your first Prisoners arrive
- Main build toolbar tweeked to scale/layout better on higher resolutions
- The Medical Ward has been renamed to the Infirmary
- Fixed: You sometimes had to wait a very long time for prisoners to arrive when Continuous Intake was disabled
- Fixed: Firing someone who occupies an office now vacates the office
- Fixed: If an Administrator dies his office will now be released
- Fixed: When a prisoner dies or escapes, his cell will now be released for re-use
- Fixed a massive performance bug affecting the Intel HD graphics 4000 chipset
Alpha 4 (Nov 19th 2012)
The key change in this version is an overhaul of the Fog Of War system, in response to community feedback. Almost immediately after launching Alpha3 we began to hear from alpha users that the rooftop style fog-of-war (which blocks out the view of the insides of your prison unless you have Guards watching the area) was annoying because it stopped you from building things - you just couldn’t see what you were doing.
= Fog-of-war overhaul in response to community feedback
- Areas hidden by fog-of-war are now rendered in darkened greyscale instead the solid roof effect
- Walls, floors and Static objects under fog-of-war remain visible but greyed out.
- Guards and Cctv now have a longer view range.
- The Chief has a long view range
- Workmen, Cooks and Doctors have a short view range
= The game is now more permissive when loading corrupted saved games. It will no longer crash.
- Errors in the save file will be reported to debug.txt.
Alpha 3 (Nov 1st 2012)
For this update weÂ’ve focussed on a new system called Fog Of War, which changes the game in a number of ways. Internally we refer to this as the Visibility system, because you now lose visibility of the indoor areas of your jail gradually over time. Your guards are the only staff members who can Â“unveilÂ” the hidden areas, and if you lose visibility of an area you have no idea what sort of things are going on there. This ties in very closely to the Alpha2 update, because you now have to use Deployment and Patrols to create pathways for your guards to walk along to ensure your entire jail remains fully visible at all times.
= Fog-of-war / Visibility system
- You now lose visibility of the indoor areas of your Jail over time (Roof covers up the area)
- Guards reveal the area around them - spread them out to keep your jail fully visible at all times
- Fog of War is optional and can be toggled when creating a new sandbox
= CCtv system
- Unlocked by the Security Chief after Deployment
- CCtv cameras can be used to uncover fog-of-war instead of Guards
- Cctv cameras require monitors - each monitor station allows 3 cameras
- Monitor stations require Guards nearby watching them (One guard can watch a lot of monitors)
- Researching "Deployment" now unlocks Guard Patrols immediately, rather than requiring a separate research project
- Guards who are deployed within a sector will now stay within that sector unless ordered away by the player
- You can now press R to rotate objects during placement
- You can now press Q and E to zoom in and out
- Metal Detectors improved
- Low powered electrical items no longer take damage from water, nor electrocute people in water
- High powered electrical items should never be allowed to touch water ;)
- Holding Cells no longer count towards your prison's capacity. (And no longer affect intake of prisoners)
- You can now disable the checkerboard room pattern if you wish, to provide a cleaner look
(Controlled by preferences option "RenderRooms")
- The PC executable now has an icon
- Fixed: You can no longer use the "Dismantle Object" tool to dismantle fire, polaroids, vehicles etc
- Fixed: Lights can now be dismantled
- Fixed: You can no longer search dead prisoners
- Fixed: The "Incident Reports" objective was sometimes remaining hidden when it should be displayed
- Fixed: You can no longer rotate the following objects: Light, Tree, Electric chair
- Fixed: Saving a prison with a '#' symbol in the filename would cause the game to fail to start on next run
(Preferences.txt would remember the map filename and the game fails to autoload the prison on startup)
Alpha 2 (Oct 18th 2012)
The first major feature of this new build is the Deployment screen. This shows you a security schematic of your prison and allows you to assign guards to each of your sectors, and to set patrols for them to walk along. This makes locking down your prison a lot easier! We've also fixed a bunch of bugs and introduced an option when creating a new prison which lets you restrict the incoming rate of prisoners so they don't overwhelm you. Rather than receiving a random number every day you will only receive prisoners when you have space.
= Deployment mode
New screen in the toolbar, unlocked in the usual way by the Security Chief
You can assign Guards to the sectors of your jail
You can draw Patrol routes within the sectors, and your guards will follow them
- Intake options: When creating a new map there is an option called Continuous Intake
- "Enabled" behaves like Alpha1, ie a semi-random number of prisoners arrive every day
- "Disabled" means prisoners only arrive when you have capacity to fit them in
- Max 24 prisoners per day either way
- Newly created sandboxes have a Time Warp Factor, which govers the speed of the game clock.
Large maps now "slow down" the game clock by 50% to give entities longer to get around.
Medium maps slow down the game clock to 75%. Small maps run at 100%.
- The game now saves thumbnail PNGs when you save a level.
These are displayed in the Loading / Saving screen when available
- Large Pipes can now be built under existing walls
- Fixed: Game now runs on MacOSX 10.6 or greater (issue with libcurl)
- Experimental Fix: Game should now run properly on Retina Mac screens
It will default to fullscreen at the lower (non retina) resolution
You can force Retina resolution (2x higher) in preferences.txt with screenW and screenH
- Fixed: Some needs should not be displayed to the user (Eg need for Weapon)
- Fixed: Prisoners will no longer sit on chairs or use any equipment in any Office
- Fixed: An issue where goods and Prisoners in a supply truck could be left behind on the road
- Fixed: Prisoners would sometimes become stationary zombies after being escorted from the deliveries zone
(AiTargetSet flag not cleared)
- Fixed: Room type was often forgotten after a Save & Load. Room type would show up after load as "None".
Note: Save games with this bug will still be broken on Load. The game will assign these rooms type "Cell" as a guess.
- Fixed: An issue that caused Save Games to load very very slowly (appearing to crash) if you had created a single very large room